Music Banter - View Single Post - The 10 Track Mixtape Thread (Song Lists Without Links Will Be Deleted)
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #328 (permalink)
Minstrel
Music Addict

1. Caribou - Melody Day : Absolutely gorgeous electronic track. Dreamy and driving at the same time. The bells are a great touch.

2. Gun Club - Sex Beat : Extremely catchy mix of '70s pop-punk and American roots rock.

3. Lou Reed - Perfect Day : One of the greatest example of Lou Reed's fabulous song-writing ability. This song is so evocative.

4. Pink Foyd - See Emily Play : One of their more conventional pop songs, during the Syd Barrett era. The song is just a brilliant gem from their Pipers album.

5. Primal Scream - Velocity Girl : Before they were known for dance-pop, they wrote perhaps the perfect straight-ahead guitar pop song. This wasn't on any of their main albums...it was included on a compilation tape that the New Musical Express magazine sent out to subscribers in 1986.

6. Serge Gainsbourg - Ford Mustang : Serge Gainsbourg wrote jazzy vocal pop songs in French that largely involved themes of sex and glamour. This was one of the songs he sang with Jane Birkin. I think it is very stylish.

7. Suede - Down : Not one of Suede's most famous songs, but perhaps one of their very best. Highly melodic and compelling. Lyrically great and evocative, too.

8. Boy George - Bow Down Mister : Just an incredibly infectious song. Cute, amusing lyrics. Indian mysticism has been a part of pop music since the Beatles.

9. Teenage Fanclub - Straight & Narrow : This isn't one of their famous songs (in circles where the Fannies are famous, as mainstream hit-making fame somehow eluded them despite being one of the most accomplished song-writing groups ever) but I think it is their best. Perfect melody and harmonies.

10. Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun : I opened this compilation with a lovely electronic track, and I'll close it with another. A dreamy trance song, with the typically great production of Oakenfold.

Download Link

Comments welcome. A bit poppy, but quite good pop, in my opinion. I'm in a pop mood.

Last edited by Minstrel; 08-18-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote