Music Banter - View Single Post - Three J: Random Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

1. "Don't Make Me a Target"
2. "The Ghost of You Lingers"
3. "You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb"
4. "Don't You Evah"
5. "Rhthm & Soul"
6. "Eddie's Ragga"
7. "The Underdog"
8. "My Little Japanese Cigarette Case"
9. "Finer Feelings"
10. "Black Like Me"

Genre: Indie Rock
Year: 2007

Out of the gate there is a sense of a new and more confident group here. Evolved and polished from previous work Spoon's sixth studio effort dwarfs there previous work with complex and creative themes and musical progressions and overwhelms most doubters with a feel good nature that's too fun to resist.

There is a sense that everything on this album was sort of casually thrown into place, and even if it's not completely essential to the music it fits comfortably. The vocal delivery is very casual and confident, the music is full and forceful without stepping on toes. This is a band that appreciates the art of making music and making a whole album. This will go down as the album that makes me appreciate this band.

The opening track is a clunky electric stampede that bleeds into the rest of the album. Ranging from somber to giddy mundane to eclectic it's exactly what it is supposed to be, bursting with creativity and confluence. Rhythm and Soul is a wonderful song that you have to play over and over again at first. Underdog may be my favorite single song from 2007. Every song stands on it's own merit's there is no reason to skip a track on this ten song opus.

Great work that has made me want to revisit there previous efforts.

Not hard to give this one 5 teaspoons out of an ounce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote