Music Banter - View Single Post - This generation isn't stupid, we're just different.
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggyMan View Post
I'll agree our education system sucks, but is it any worse than 40 years ago? My mom never got a single class on biology and she's one of the smartest people I know. The math we do in our schools now is way ahead of the what the previous generations have done. If you look at other countries I don't think there's anything wrong with their school systems. Can anyone who grew up in the 70's/80's who have kids now or are somehow involved in education say the at schools are worse? I'm not saying that they're good, but are they really worse?
I think that forty years ago, schools taught creative thought more (and that's what's important, not advanced biology or the level of math). Today, all classes have one goal: high test scores. In the 50's, the goal was to prepare people for a trade, to prepare them for life and to think for themselves. (Or am I completely misinformed? Either way, the system sucks right now, and the emphasis on standardization is outweighing any benefits an improved ciriculum may have had).