Music Banter - View Single Post - Three J: Random Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Joe Jackson - Night and Day

The Night Side
1. Another World
2. Chinatown
3. T.V Age
4. Target
5. Steppin' Out
The Day Side
1. Breaking Us in Two
2. Cancer
3. Real Men
4. A Slow Song

Year: 1982
Genre: Pop
Format: Vinyl

The fifth album released by Jackson would be his most popular and commercially successful album. Two hit singles helped drive the album into the top ten on the pop charts for the first time in Jackson’s career, but it's the overall sum of the parts that has determined this album's legacy. Solid from end to end with a lot potential highlights for listeners. Most fans differ on which songs are their favorites off this one, but all agree this is a strong example of the artist overall.

The Night Side of the album sort of blends a World music sound with the Electronic sounds of 80’s pop music. This some of the most complex and compelling music in the genre and a step up for Jackson in terms of his songwriter status. Another World and Chinatown both, heavy atmospheres, melodic feel, then there is the quirky T.V Age including a wonderful chronological landmark lyric “There’s no need for movies, we’ve got HBO”. The next song Target keeps the energy high with a distinct Latin sound and the highest concentration of horns so far, the energy of the Night Side is outstanding and moves with excellent fluidity. With the signature opening rhythm the song captures the mood of the era brilliantly. Jackson’s lyrics fit the theme very well also as he shares the sights and sounds of a night out. It is arguably the biggest hit single of Jackson’s career

The Day Side opens with the second of the hit singles Breaking Us in Two. A light and elegant plea to stay, it was a staple of pop radio play throughout the decade. With a standout performance on piano and a signature vocal effort it holds up well. Cancer is next, and after the two singles, moves back towards the sounds of the albums opening tracks. It’s a bizarre approach in modern context but didn’t seem that out of place in 1982. It has a nice pulse and evolves into sort of an interesting song after all. The penultimate piece is the most dramatic song on the album and works on several levels. Excellent progression, powerful lyrics and message very bold subject matter for that or anytime. The obviously titled finale glides along with a building confidence and cadence. Ultimately it explodes into its ironic and lovely chorus.

Favorite Songs: Target, Steppin’ Out, Real Men, A Slow Song

This album holds up very well, Jackson was clearly a pop artist but this is one of his more artistic and thoughtful albums. The music is as crisp and exact as it has been at anytime and the hardcore and fringe fans as well as critics and contemporaries all point to this is a seminal album. Who am I to disagree; good form here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote