Music Banter - View Single Post - The Discussion in Need of a Title
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
I think most people in our generation are nihilists and just don't realize it yet. We live in a world of hyper-simulation where everything we do almost screams its meaninglessness at us. Our parents were probably the last generation to have the comfortable illusion of progress, and now they stare confusedly at us while we beat our heads against the wall.

Excellent point. We're more cynical and realize how phony much of our routines are. From an American point of view, the deterioration of establishments such as Social Security helps to facilitate this. No one my age I know seriously expects to be gainfully employed at one company for forty years and then comfortably retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
In the 1940's American's watched as an entire race of people we're rounded up and put into internment camps.

In the 50's we segregated, schools, doctors, restaurants etc.

In the 60's we attacked American Solders returning from war.

Still far from perfect but it feels like things are moving in the right direction.
Part of the problem comes with people who want to return to the "good old days." The problem is that the "good old days" they have in mind are fictitious.