Music Banter - View Single Post - What's your Favourite EDM genre?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #26 (permalink)
Expletive Deleted
Dancing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
Just to say: I've only ever heard the phrase EDM here, so i've spent most of the while since i've been back confused as to what it is.

To answer the q, ambient or chillout.
Since apparently no one answered this, EDM = Electronic Dance Music.

I don't think I've ever really heard that chillout can have percussion, but ambient can't. This is more or less the case, but not really a definition of either genre. From what I've seen chillout is just a catchall term for all downbeat electronic music, while ambient isn't necessarily just electronic music (also, I suppose it would fall under the chillout category). They're basically the same thing, regardless. Also, Hallucinogen and Shpongle are Psytrance, I believe, but I don't listen to either.

I voted House & Techno. I can't really stand any Trance made since the early Frankfurt days (Eye-Q, Harthouse, etc.), and even that can get pretty grating. Chillout and ambient I like, but not really as much as I do House & Techno, and honestly at this point they barely even count as EDM, because when was the last time anyone even saw a chillout room in a club? I've never even been into a club with one, for me the idea of a chillout room is like one of those anecdotes that your parents always tell you about life before color TV or how they had to walk to school ten miles in the snow, uphill both ways.

I've never really gotten into DnB, and I like some Progressive House DJs, but not enough to pick it as a favorite.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote