Music Banter - View Single Post - Inside the JayJamJah Introspective Auditorium
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Previously on this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Cool, I'll put something together sometime soon, and await your response and opinion as well.
45 Days Later...

INT. JAYJAMJAH's Man Cave - Late Night 11:30pm EST

Our hero sits in his favorite chair finishes his third glass of Jameson's Irish Whiskey and puffs away on the Macanudo Maduro that has captivated his palette for weeks on end. When Suddenly Inspiration hits him via shuffle mode on the Itunes player.

JAYJAMJAH
(to self)
Solid Air, that's the one

And indeed it was, It was a better James Taylor album then any Baby James ever released. Solid Air was the best John Martyn album end to end and the one he would put in the hoper for this introspective foray. And now...

John Martyn: Solid Air

John Martyn is older then me, nearly a decade older. Solid Air, released in 1973, was his fourth solo studio effort and the first to fully encorporate his love for jazz music into the acoustic heavy sound that had become hsi trade mark especially following the critically hailed "Bless the Weather" in 1971. This album is a very appropriate choice to follow the Nick Drake selection. In fact Martyn and Drake were close friends and this album was dedicated to the recently passed singer\songwriter. The long suffering depression that characterized Nick Drake's tragic existence is given a direct nod in the very ethereal title track.

This album runs "Over the Hill" with a stunning little country rock number and brings you back down with the hypnotic and rhythmic "Don't Want to Know". If John Martyn is going to be criticized it's like for his inconsistency and lack of a seminal album that casual, hard core fans and critics can agree on. Solid Air is not that album, nor is it supposed to be, but it could easily serve that purpose given the chance. This is enthusiastic music done tactfully without sacrificing passion in the least. So many songs on this album are such epic and creative compositions, and they move back and forth stylistically within the realm of Folk Jazz Martyn has taken the time to create. Nearly two years after his last album it's 33 minutes of overlooked excellence. "Dreams by the Sea" is an absurdly good song. The fact the it is sandwiched by the competitively good but completely contrasting "Go Down Easy" and "May You Never" so smoothly is an example of what good song writing does.

Find time to find this album and give it a spin, then give it a few more and you'll see what I mean.

Fade to Black...

Fade In INT. Mancave - Suns first rays just past 7 AM
Still sitting in his chair, laptop on lap he awakes realizing he has slept in the chair again, he is old, but John Martyn is still older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote