Music Banter - View Single Post - Velvet Underground
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 05:17 AM   #142 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggyMan View Post
But it stripped down their sound even more, Sister Ray has what, one chord change in 17 minutes? They took the ideas on their debut and experimented with them further, I can understand not liking it, but I don't see how you can say something like Sister Ray doesn't represent a step forward. It's even less complicated than their debut, but isn't that their goal? The ultimate stripped down sound? I don't think the experimental edge pushed aside the music, White Light/White Heat is a great tune and that riff in Sister Ray...
I'm not sure; I think that a stripped down sound would involve little more than a vocal and acoustic guitar...after all, Sister Ray has the organ and the distortion.

My problem with WL/WH is that there's some filler (Lady Godiva, Here She Comes Now) and it seems too self-consciously experimental. On the debut, everything sounded relatively natural. On WL/WH, it sounds like they were just trying to confuse people and piss them off.