Music Banter - View Single Post - The Complete Discography thread Van Morrison
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #62 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default No Guru, No Method, No Teacher (1986)

In between “A Sense of Wonder” and his next studio release featured below Morrison took time to try something new, he composed the musical score for the Movie “Lamb” staring Liam Neeson. He also spent a good amount of time further investigating the link between music and its effects on the mind, body, heart and soul. Perhaps it’s no coincidence that the “No Guru…” album featured no instrumentals and several chants or mantras mixed into the music.

No Guru, No Method, No Teacher (1986)

Hailed by many critics as “A return to form” it is an improvement from “A Sense of Wonder” and a very good album, however it is far a return to any form Morrison has ever taken. Several tracks have a fresh and fun sound to them and are almost like discovering a new band with that same old voice behind and acoustic guitar at the bare soul. There is a more mature approach to these songs and a more full sound as a result of having more confidence and trust with his surrounding musicians as well as perhaps most importantly in himself. Morrison had made a habit of denying both conventional and new age thinking and methodology when it came to making decisions in his music and his life and this album and this time in his life were no exception…

1. Got to go Back – Opening casually with a mood reminiscent of Veedon Fleeces’ “Fair Play” but the vocals are a more nostalgic growl. This song a mix of the old and the new more plainly expresses an emerging theme in Morrison’s music of the era as the introverted isolationist vocalizes his need to reconnect and make peace with his past. The humming of the saxophone and the dancing piano keys orchestrate the simple verse while the entire ensemble escalates for the chorus. Light and lovely and a well designed opening track. 7.5\10

2. Oh The Warm Feeling – A familiar ethereal feel encompasses this song write out of the gate and at first listen feels like a been there done that number. However further examination reveals a very sweet acoustic rhythm and a staggering vocal delivery of sweet and simple poetic lyrics. Maybe a little to tame for the horns, and better served as a minimalist piece but certainly a good song. 7\10

3. Foreign Window – Some of the best lyrical work on the album as Morrison compiles another list of ways to weave themes into each other carrying a central lyrical core with the atmospheric theme of the album. There are parts of the album feel like they’ve grown out of the epics of Morrison’s late 70’s albums. Songs like “Take it Where you Find it” and “The Healing has begun”. He also mixes in another nod to Rimbaud and a mystical catch phrase “In the Palace of the Lord”. All this amongst another escalating horn and drum driven number with eloquent backing vocals and acoustic guitar spasms. 7.5\10

4. A Town Called Paradise – The slightly more exuberant and equally exotic “A Town Called Paradise” watches Van address with his woman, his lord or perhaps both or even neither. The piano pushes the acoustic strumming rhythm daring it to keep up as the horns and harmonies of the choir enter during the interludes. Making way for Van to build the energy needed to deliver the next verse. The complex arrangement of the song takes several listens to fully appreciate and the splendor of it’s culmination even overwhelms Morrison as he departs speaking of “going down to the river…down to paradise” This songs begins the heart of the album and one of the strongest runs of music Van has created before or since. 8.5\10

5. In the Garden – – This is a definite throwback; starting with a lyrical illusion to Astral Weeks, “…fields all wet with rain”, reinforced by the acoustic arrangement and growl-heavy vocal performance. The piano delicately duets with the acoustic strumming in this for all implicit purposes title track. Morrison wrote the track as a meditation aide and it’s easy to see this is the case. The transition from Morrison’s distant vocals to the front and center piano sound all the while the guitar setting the tempo behind creates a undeniable hook within the song. Closing with the album title mantra, a response to critics and cynics trying to pigeon whole Morrison’s motivations and inspirations. “No Guru, No Method, No Teacher. A definite winner closing side one and probably the song with the greatest lasting legacy from this now more then two decade old effort. 9\10

6. Tir Ni Nog – Another highlight of the album and perhaps the most singularly beautiful melody of the decade for Morrison. Tir Ni Nog or “Land of the Eternal Youth” is another part of Morrison’s continuing attempt to go back to the days of his youth that have shaped him and still seem to haunt him. The triumphant nature and feel to this music, to this song suggests a sort of coming to peace with the issue as well as the cathartic line “We took each others hands and cried like the rivers”. Joseph Edelberg turns in a wonderful performance on the violin (reminiscent of Sweet Thing) and overall the strings make this song; the cello and bass are breathtaking as the beat chugs along confidently and Morrison narrates in his most sensational style. A truly moving song and one of the Van Morrison highlights of the decade for me. 9.5\10

7. Here Comes the Knight – Morrison puns at his own work, the nearly twenty year old “Them” and their second most famous number ‘Here comes the Night” the horns and the bass push this melody with the piano and drums keeping time. Back-up vocals emphasize the insistent chorus line and help reinforce the song. This is an example of the consummate song writing displayed on this album, each movement is precisely the same length and the timing mirrors itself from start to middle and back to the end. 7.5\10

8. Thanks for the Information – The ominous social commentary track with a distinct sound that seems out of place on this supposedly more evolved Morrison effort, but it shows it full repertoire as it moves into its crescendo and elevated chorus. The saxophone and trumpet banter back and forth with the electric guitar plucking filling in the little gaps. The Most dynamic and effective use of the back-up choir is unquestionably from this track. Another thoughtful piece that fits the puzzle exactly right despite a few atypical adjustments to the musical arrangement. The lyrics are filled with ironic meaningless clichés when contrasted with the title and opening line “Thanks for the Information” a song that emerges as a surprise charmer. 8.5\10

9. One Irish Rover – The soft Celtic charm of Morrison’s nostalgia is on full display in this light, simple and rhythmic penultimate pleaser. With a faint melody made by the synthesizer and the cor angelis Oboe. A simple circular pattern with gently conveyed lyrics of a traditional nature make this a simple but satisfying song to help bridge the gap from the core of the album to it’s energetic finale. 7\10

10. Ivory Tower – Electric guitar and rhythm this one that becomes the piano powered energetic closer in which Morrison further expresses his lack of comfort in stardom and his lack of patience and understanding for those who embrace it. The harmonica hides behind the lead vocal as the horns blare in the background of the country electric guitar rhythms which only help enhance the energetic gait that characterizes this formidable finale. Another lasting success from the album, still a favorite at the live shows reminding fans of the Tupelo Honey, Hard Nose days. Again thoughtful construction and placement make this song a perfect fit on an album with songs sharing very few fundamental characteristics otherwise. A great way to end a great album. 8.5\10

…This is not necessarily a song cycle album; at least it was not hailed as one, but listen to a few times in succession and tell me it doesn’t feel like one piece. It’s not Astral Weeks, but it’s a close as Morrison ever came, the acoustic guitar is at the core of 90% of the music and the violins, horns and strings are used more for crescendo then rhythm or tempo throughout. There is a constant stream of pain in the music contrasted by the optimism and confidence in the vocal deliveries of Morrison. An emerging classic for me, doing this review has allowed me to rediscover how a time of my life and how much I enjoyed the music and the people in it then. One of the top 10 albums of the decade you probably haven’t heard.

Defining Track(s): Really hard to say, the two side closers “In the Garden” and “Ivory Tower” are the fan favorites. I personally think that tracks 4-8 are a great section of music.
Line in my head: “It doesn’t matter what they say, it doesn’t matter what they do, all that matters is my relationship with you.
Christagu’s Take: No soap radio, no particular place to go, no man is an island. No spring chicken, No-Doze, no can do. B

Star rating: (1-5) (from my personal catalog) ****
How it made me feel today: (1-10): 9
Overall Ranking: TBD

Next up: Poetic Champions Compose- 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote