Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #415 (permalink)
Whatsitoosit
Bringer of Carrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Is there any other kind of Journey album?
ha... I wouldn't know. "Don't stop believing" sends feelings of disappointment through my veins whenever I hear it now, thank you "Sopranos".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
I don't think your arbitrary selections of what different genres "look like" counts as "basic knowledge."

I think it's strange that you feel cover art is tightly constrained by the genre. What you called "indie pop" art (the Unicorns album) could definitely be called surreal, which you seem to feel is reserved for progressive rock. The Pink Moon cover art seems very reasonable for the soft, evocative music Nick Drake plays.

Rules never make sense for art. Cover art should reflect the musicians' visual image of their music, not be based on some sort of "genre template."
yes and no... I hear what you're saying and it makes sense but if the musicians vision of their own music is way off from how the general public perceives it, that can't be a good thing and lends itself to a ton of mockery. However, if the music is amazing... I'm sure it can be forgiven