Music Banter - View Single Post - is racism ok for MB?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
joyboyo53
down the rabbit hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
No, all humor must be banned!
Humor is when people think something is funny, not when somebody begins trolling other peoples post in every forum just to try and start an arguement... then goes to the extreme to bring racial comparisons just to make it funny. If you were to make a black joke would the be ok too? It's humor right? No, it's WRONG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer
I don't really want to get into this, but I guess I'm obliged to. Anyway, no, racism isn't ok for MB... but there's no racism here.

From what I gather... you are saying all pitbulls should be banned because (factually) a higher than normal percentage of them are violent, in comparison to other dogs.

And the Unfan drew a comparison using a hypothetical scenario in which we would ban all Mexicans because (factually in this hypothetical scenario) a higher than normal percentage of them are violent, in comparison to other people, and he insinuated this would be ridiculous.

Whether this fact is true, I don't know - if it is, it gives credence to the analogy - if it isn't, well the racial scenario is hypothetical anyway, so it's still a valid analogy. Point being... if you generalise pitbulls as being dangerous, by that logic, he could generalise Mexicans as being violent. No racism intended on his part.
It wasnt racist of him to use the comparison for factual purposes. I didnt appreiciate his untasteful comparison (when he could have used a million other things, better things), but the wasn't the problem. It got racist when he said "How is it different? They're both violent breeds of living things." That is racist....whether its a joke or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger
No it isn't

And thats why we have a Report Post feature which in this case has not been used.

As much as i'd love to spend time reading every rambling from every wannabe political commentator on this forum to check for these things I don't have the time or the patience. So if you see something like this then just report it.
I didn't want to goto the length to report him without first getting the opinion of the members. Hell, maybe its not racist, maybe I am wrong; I just really dont think that can be seen as anything but a racist comment (even if it is a joke).