Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beach Boys
Thread: The Beach Boys
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #132 (permalink)
Whatsitoosit
Bringer of Carrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
Just the mere mention of 'God Only Knows' fills my head full of music.

Edit: Not bad for a song that took him less than 10 minutes to write.
One of my favorite songs ever... everything about it (vocals, arrangement, production) just works. I also enjoy how it was used in "Boogie Nights".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I have never really dug The Beach Boys. I was dissapointed when I heard PET SOUNDS as it is at the top of a lot of critics lists. It has been about five years since I heard it. I may give it another listen when I can be bothered to find a link. Good Vibrations is a great track though.
I heard Pet Sounds for the first time about 2 years ago. I enjoyed it and thought it was a great album but I wish I heard it when I was in my teens and first started appreciating music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
Also Brian Wilson mentioned that "Rubber Soul" by The Beatles was his inspiration for Pet Sounds. They had a pretty healthy rivalry it seems and both bands at this point seemed to have fed off of the other.
yeah, up until Brian become seriously depressed over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Pet Sounds might be a bit overrated, but I love it.
I'm with you on this, although I like it... I don't love it (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
They can fool themselves into thinking Nevermind was the greatest album of the 90s but it wasn't. In the words of Wayne Coyne "If you think you're going to hear an utterly original, powerful and freaky record when you put on Nevermind, as a young kid might, Christ you're going to be disappointed. You're going to think, "Who is this band that sounds just like Nickelback? What are these drug addicts going on about?""
Nevermind was a great album... can't really compare it to Pet Sounds as they are from two totally different worlds/sounds. Also, Nirvana may have helped create Nickelback but in no way will I ever enjoy Nickelback as I have enjoyed Nirvana. **** Nickelback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
Kurt Cobain's voice is terrible and he can't write good lyrics either. Brian Wilson is an actual strong vocalist and a good musician, producer, and arranger. Cobain has nothing going for him other then devout fan boys and girls who spend more time contemplating their angst then listening to his music.
Brian Wilson's voice (on some tracks) is an acquired taste. I have grown tired of it and I actually enjoy his voice. There is a different quality to it that makes the beach boys the great act they were but I can certainly see how somebody can find it annoying as well. In later years his voice didn't hold up too well, unfortunately... he also did a lot of layering with over processed sounding vocals which can get annoying after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADELE View Post
The Beach Boys were so brilliant.
Pet Sounds inspired Pepper.
did it really?

my apologies for bumping some old ass quotes, first time reading through this thread and had some things to say.

Last edited by Whatsitoosit; 08-27-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Whatsitoosit is offline   Reply With Quote