Music Banter - View Single Post - This generation isn't stupid, we're just different.
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #42 (permalink)
Whatsitoosit
Bringer of Carrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
The whole argument about the internet giving this generation the liscence to be entirely unmotivated to learn about the surrounding world is a complete cop-out. It's an excuse to fall back on in lieu of admitting that people (yes, people, not just this generation) in general are getting lazy and apathetic. Apathy in my opinion is a form of stupidity. I don't consider anyone who has no curiosity or desire to learn more about the world remotely intelligent.

The internet is an incredibly powerful tool. Knowledge is knowledge, wheather it comes from a book, a tv show or the internet it all ends up the same in the end, as information stored in your brain that makes you a more aware, more informed, and yes, more intelligent person. The key here is that you have to actually internalize that knowledge. The statement that absorbing information has been made irrelevant by the internet and other media is unintelligent. So if you believe that that is a widespread feeling among this generation, then yes, I would say this generation IS less intelligent.
you're right... but I was saying having it all at your finger tips and not trying to cram it all in can be a good thing, not that it always is a good thing (sorry if my point didn't really come across). I don't think people should rule out learning of the things they find interesting... it's just no longer as necessary to worry about learning the things you really could care less about. Things are much easier to access today then going to the library... and with anything if you use it carelessly it's going to give sour results.

Last edited by Whatsitoosit; 08-28-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Whatsitoosit is offline   Reply With Quote