Music Banter - View Single Post - Punks who hate on Straight edge
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #32 (permalink)
Minstrel
Music Addict

The moment there became a concept of "punk fashion" and "punk style," it largely ceased to be meaningful. It's inherently contradictory for a scene defined by self-expression and individualism to start having implicit rules for how a "punk" should look and act.

I'm not 100% sure this is relevant to the topic, but reading all the posts, there felt to me to be a bit of a sense of some proper punk culture. But I can't isolate exactly why I get that sense.

Straight edge doesn't resonate with me (I think the principles are completely arbitrary), but I don't think being straight edge makes you less (or more) punk. I think those who resonated to the original punk ideal of breaking with convention and doing your own thing should be favourable to other breaks with the mainstream. In my experience, though, people who associate closely with punk tend to see metal as the enemy, which is a bit bizarre to me.