Music Banter - View Single Post - Red Hot Chili Peppers
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #507 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
And just so you understand, BSSM was released the same day as Nevermind...
I know. Did you not notice that I said that in my post? Thing is, Nevermind wasn't an instant hit. It took a couple months for it to build up steam, and considering that it was the album that kicked off the grunge era, you're hard pressed to say BSSM was released during the heyday of grunge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
...and about a month after Pearl Jam's Ten.
Ten took even longer to catch on than Nevermind. It took the better part of a year for it to become big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam
See, I'm not the biggest Chili Peppers fan, I could care less about their earlier works, but I grew up with BSSM and Californication and although I acknowledge there's a very big difference between old RHCP and new RHCP, I couldn't give a rat's ass for how much I appreciate their earlier works.
That's fine. We just have different perspectives on them based on when we first heard them. You were a toddler when BSSM came out so that's incarnation of the Chili Peppers that's ingrained in you. To people like myself who were listening to them prior to BSSM it was a major, and not necessarily good, shift in style because the older, punkier style was ingrained in us.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote