Music Banter - View Single Post - How long a period studying music theory did it take you to appreciate classical?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Minstrel
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Any suggestions on where to start with him?
"Eine Kleine Nachmusik." It's gorgeous. Most of the really famous stuff is also the most accessible...Pachelbel's "Canon In D" is my pick for greatest piece of music in human history (and shockingly influential in pop music).

"Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring" is another one I think is extremely accessible. It flows like water.

As for the topic of the thread, I don't think music should ever need "theory" to appreciate. It might take repeated listens, to start appreciating things you don't normally listen to, but good music should appeal without any sort of education. Most melodic structures are universal, in that they keep repeating throughout history. Rock/pop aren't entirely separate and different from classical, they just (usually) frame the standard melodic appeal in new ways. If you adjust to classical, I think you'll find you enjoy great composers in classical as much as those in rock and pop.