Music Banter - View Single Post - This generation isn't stupid, we're just different.
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #46 (permalink)
Whatsitoosit
Bringer of Carrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
This brings up an interesting point. I'm a huge advocate of using the internet as a learning tool in the classroom, not only because of the massive amount of information, but for the ability to connect with different parts of the world. I think a lot of us remember having pen-pals in a foreign country as part of a school project; mine was from japan. Now, kids can do colaborative study projects with kids in japan, not just writing basic letters to each other. it's incredible the kind of interaction available through the internet.

having said that, I do believe that something is lost in not going to the library and sitting amongst a pile of books. I remember being so excited in the 5th grade when I had my first, real, long-term research project (yeah that got old quickly), but at the time it fascinated me to browse through dozens of books and find important information in each one. On a recent trip to NY I visited the national library and just wandered for hours looking at all the historic books. It's a little sad that kids now will miss out on that feeling, despite the huge advantages the internet gives them.

Your point about editing reminds me of my photography. I learned with a 1975 minolta XD11. Now, when i'm processing my photos in photoshop after a shoot, even though it's way more convenient, I miss going into the darkroom for hours processing my prints. It's just so much more satisfying to see a roll of negatives you processed turn into a print seemingly out of nowhere. though dodging and burning is a hell of a lot less frustrating in photoshop. but, when your editor gives you two hours to get an interview, take the photos, write the story, and then file the photo and article, the convenience is nice
LOL, see maybe this is why we have slightly different view points... I never got excited about research papers. Good point about using the internet in the classroom as a constructive tool... I still think kids should write actual letters to far away lands but interacting on projects as you mentioned (in moderation) would be a great way to help children understand different cultures while understanding the power of the internet.

I started recording my music on a Tascam (cassette tape) 4 track (which I loved)... I then upgraded to a Roland 16 track hard disk recorder, which sounded better and made recording more convenient but the excitement of making a 4 track recording sound good was gone. I actually went back to the 4 track just for laughs and I realized the evolution was a good thing. Now I'm recording via my computer with Digital Performer and the results (sound wise) are the best I've had yet but I will always listen to those 4 track recordings with enthusiasm for its rawness (due in part to my rawness at the time).