Music Banter - View Single Post - Coldplay
Thread: Coldplay
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #282 (permalink)
Minstrel
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgd85 View Post
hahahaha, the smashing pumpkins are far from the most popular band in mainsteam music in the US.
I didn't mean right now. They haven't existed as a band this decade. I meant when they were popular in the mid-90s.

Quote:
indie and alternative no longer mean 'non mainstream' as they both have destinct sounds associated with them.
"Alternative" as a "sound" is meaningless. It has been for over a decade. Just about everything gets lumped into "alternative." There's nothing about Coldplay's sound that is alternative from mainstream pop.

Quote:
are you gonna tell me that the shins arent indie just becasue they can actaully sell albums to the masses?
The Shins aren't played on mainstream radio. They aren't traditional "indie," since labels like Sub Pop have become quite big, but they're not music that is played on the Clear Channel type of stations. Casual music listeners aren't going to be particularly aware of the Shins, Flaming Lips, Decemberists, etc.

Coldplay is one of the biggest bands in the world, well-known by anyone who listens to mainstream radio and doesn't do anything with their sound that is experimental or different. I can't see any reason why they'd be labeled "alternative" anymore than the Strokes or White Stripes.