Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Influential and Best Manchester Band
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #88 (permalink)
Minstrel
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADELE View Post
teenage fanclub are okay but you will lose credibilty on this forum if you really think that about them.
I'll argue what I see. Suede and Teenage Fanclub were the first to start making that sort of music. (Again, unless you count Stone Roses...some consider them part of Britpop, some don't.)

Quote:
were they manc bands?
No, but you used "created Britpop" as an argument for Oasis. They didn't create Britpop. Non-Manchester bands did.

Quote:
Britpop was blur oasis.
In the mainstream. They weren't the originators or the best.

Quote:
Credibilty like mine comes from sustained beliefs and well constructed arguements that stay the same.
Not saying whatever seems right at each juncture.
I'm saying what I see as right based on my perspective. What part of my perspective comes up depends on where the discussion goes. Nothing I believe has changed for the sake of this discussion.

Quote:
Teenage fanclub are not without their charm.
But you could say Ride were part of it or loads of other bands around at the time even the manics.
You could include Ride, MBV, Lush, Secret Shine, etc, if you count shoegaze as part of Britpop. I don't, and I don't think most do. It was quite a different sound.

Teenage Fanclub didn't find a lot of fame and mainstream success, but they were one of the most respected UK bands among the British bands in that scene and they made a ton of great songs. More to the point, they and Suede were the ones to start the brand of guitar pop / power pop that was the foundation of Britpop in the '90s.

Quote:
But your views on oasis been nothing is very how can I say, here and now as they are still going.
I didn't say they were nothing. They made some good pop. They just didn't innovate (no crime) and weren't among the best (in my opinion, and also no crime).

Quote:
In a few years you'll be loving them.
Unlikely. I liked them when they started and have liked their work less and less over the years. I thought their first two albums were great when they came out, now I barely listen to them. I don't think their music has lasting appeal.

Quote:
keep up the debate and remember I am only joking man. But my points about bands I really believe.
I realize you're not being very serious. I am also keeping things light. None of this is annoying me.