Music Banter - View Single Post - By the way, which one's Pink?-Pink Floyd reviewed
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #97 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Thanks for the time and effort put into these reviews. They made wonderful reading. I am a long time fan of Pink Floyd and purchased Dark Side Of The Moon on release as a 13 year old. Time does not stand still sadly.

I have most Floyd albums, Barrett's 2 solo efforts and one apiece from Waters and Gilmour. I am going to go against the tide here but I consider The Wall a masterpiece. There is something about it's grand theater that attracts me. Sure some can argue as to some songs being weak but IMO the actual flow of the album makes those songs part of the whole as apposed to them being individual sound bites.

I can be a bit put of by mega selling superstars at times as I think that they can get away with inferior work but I have never generally thought that of Pink Floyd. Pipers At The Gates Of Dawn , Dark Side of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall all for me are superbly strong from the start to the finish. Even the 2nd tier albums such as Meddle, Ummagumma and say Saucerful Of Secrets have very good highs. The review of The Final Cut was intriguing and I am tempted to grab it out now and play it for the first time in who knows how long. It was the first time that I had been disappointed with a Pink Floyd album. I recall thinking it soulless but after your review I am wondering if my love of The Wall may have tainted my view of The Final Cut.

As an aside I only ever caught them once in concert in 1988 at Brisbane Entertainment Centre. A cold venue that I despise. I remember being disappointed at the time but suspect that I was on my own on that one. Flying pigs seemed enjoyable to the vast majority of the audience.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote