Music Banter - View Single Post - What Is Your Definition of Music?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Minstrel
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyCal View Post
By 'agreeable musical quality,' they are referring to the fact that the melody and harmony 'agree,' not that the music, itself, is agreeable to us
First of all, that's your interpretation of their use of the word "agree." Secondly, you forgot rhythm (music is composed of melody, harmony and rhythm, classically). Finally, it is purely your opinion that Radiohead's harmony and melody don't "agree." They do to many people. Your tone suggests that it can be proven that they do not agree and therefore does not meet a dictionary definition of "music." If you can do this, I'd be quite interested, but I am pretty certain that such a task is impossible because such agreement is entirely subjective.

Ultimately, I think you are confusing your inability to understand the music with an objective lack of agreement.

I'm not at all offended, I just think you're framing your issue poorly, as though there's an objective basis that Radiohead's work isn't "music" and that's the assumption we should work from.