Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 07:41 AM   #472 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Howe Gelb. ’Sno Angel Like You.
A fine record. Howe's whispering voice to my ears sounds like a cross between Lou Reed and Neil Young. Along with a gospel choir he has produced a 14 track album that some would say is more focused that his Giant Sand recordings. Alt. Country rock with a gospel choir that works a treat along with the Americana lyrics that Howe writes rather well. Favorite tracks are Get To Leave, Paradise Here Abouts, Howlin a Gale and Robes In Black.

Robyn Hitch****. I Often Dream Of Trains.
A sparse lo fi recording of at times beautiful melodies with lyrics that can be idiosyncratic but at the same time portray nostalgia along with loopy wit. This is an album that is strong from the first to the last. A gentle melodic piano instrumental to start and end. In between are songs of nostalgia, Trams Of Old London, weirdness, The Bones In The Ground, and loneliness, Sometimes I wish I was a Pretty Girl, to name but a few subjects that Robyn delves into. Too many songs to select as favorites but Sounds Great When Your Dead has me singing along everytime. How can a lyric like "Your mother is a journalist Your father is a creep They make it in your bedroom When they think you're fast asleep" go astray? I have always thought that this is an album for the frustrated Syd Barrett fan. A wonderful record.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote