Music Banter - View Single Post - Which country (within the Anglosphere) makes the best music?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #47 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesonthebay View Post
speaking of english speaking countries what about oz.

inxs , icehouse, acdc, easybeats, silverchair, john butler tio, powderfinger, midnight oil, cold chisel, jimmy barns, bee gees, billy thorpe and the aztecs, the angels, savage garden, daddy cool, mondo rock and crowded house to name a few.
The majority of that list is kinda everything that Australian commercial radio stations play over and over again to the "Classic Rock" crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireInCairo View Post
Australia is a nadir
a pub-rock obsessed musical black hole
although there is excellent indie and dance stuff coming up now
ie presets, juggers, cut copy
and yet another generation inspired by daft punk and the aforementioned

theres still hope for this country....

(ps i know i have been making extreme generalizations, dont take offence...especially seeing as that is kinda what this thread calls for)
I am not offended. Commercial radio in Australia can be very very safe and play the same thing over and over. It just has no sense of adventure unfortunately. Classic rock is so popular with anyone over say 30 years old that I despair at times. But things are changing. A younger (than my) generation is coming through.

There is a also fair bit of interesting music at a local level that gets little airplay and has to rely on word of mouth, street press and community Radio for example.

I found that in the 80's I was actually listening to Dunedin Sound and various Flying Nun bands as apposed to pub rock that was so prevalent at the time. It was just more interesting.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote