Music Banter - View Single Post - Metallica or Megadeth
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #349 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I don't understand the trend of calling bands sellouts.......
You make some valid points but some I completely disagree with also. Metallica have been accused of selling out for most of their career. They were accused of selling out for making a video for One on Justice For All. It started before the massive commercial appeal of The Black Album. I don't have a problem with bands making money, making number one albums etc but to say that every band should be in it for the money is an ignorant statement. Fine if you think that should you get the opportunity you'd purposely write something that would appeal to a mass audience. That suggests that you would write something that you thought people would like and therefore you'd be in it solely for the purpose of making money, am i right?

Personally I'd write the music I wanted to write and if it appealed to a large audience and made me a ****load of cash then great. If no one liked it but me then **** happens, I'd continue to make it anyway. I'd be accused of being a sell out if it made loads of money but I'd be comfortable with that aslong as the music I was making was the music I WANTED to make. However as soon as i started thinking "What music would people LIKE me to make?" and sold my passion down the river for a quick few quid THEN I'd be a sellout.

As for the original debate here I'm going with Metallica. Both bands have made great albums. Both bands have made **** albums. They are on a fairly equal scale (maybe not in units sold admittedly) but for me Kill 'Em All - ...Justice era Metallica puts them way ahead.