Music Banter - View Single Post - Which country (within the Anglosphere) makes the best music?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 04:38 AM   #51 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips View Post
Flying Nun is an absolutely fantastic label. It had loads of bands I really enjoy.

Could you elaborate as to what the "Dunedin Sound" is? Never heard of that before.
A jangly pop sound that derived from Dunedin I am of the opinion it's roots are the British new wave DIY ethos and the jangly pop of early Brit pop, say The Kinks as an example, and maybe even the US West Coast sound at times. I guess you know the bands it spawned if you are aware of Flying Nun as many were on that label. My favorites are The Chills, The Bats, Look Blue Go Purple, The Verlaine's, Sneaky Feelings. A couple of non Dunedin bands such as The Jean Paul Satre Experience and my personal favorite The Bird Nest Roys were very much aligned with that sound. This is a good link to read if you are interested. In Love With Those Times: Flying Nun and the Dunedin Sound - Article - Stylus Magazine

I am a great fan of Chris Knox / Tall Dwarfs who are originally from Dunedin but are not really aligned to the sound.

If you like books on music I recommend Positively George Street: A personal History Of Sneaky Feelings and The Dunedin Sound by member Mathew Bannister.

As good a music related book as I have read about an anonymous movement. Written with a sharp eye and a dry wit with a sense of sad world weariness as to what might have been. Sneaky Feelings polarized the scene somewhat, Chris Knox was a sharp critic for example but I am glad they existed for this book alone.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote