Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #707 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

43 : Post Punk

I love post punk

If you think of it as a genre then it's one of the most diverse out there. And it's so simple to get it right. Taking it's name literally it means 'after punk' which in my definition means take any type of music and inject a punk like attitude into it and you end up with post punk.
I have tons of great albums from this period (Say 1978-85) mixing punk with jazz (Blurt) punk with krautrock (The Fall) punk with electronica (Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire) punk with psychadelia (Husker Du and early Flaming Lips) punk with dub (P.I.L.), punk with glam rock (Lords Of The New Chruch) punk with prog , (The Cardiacs) ,punk with funk (A Certain Ratio) and even punk mixed with pop itself ***
The list goes on and on and on. All the energy of punk but with something more musically substantial than punk itself.

So what is it doing in this list ?

One thing I have noticed is that this wideness of interpretation of what post punk is is also it's downfall because people will label any old shit from the early 80s as post punk.

As i'm always on the lookout for bands from this era nothing disheartens me more than when I come across somebody heralding some album as a lost post punk classic only to listen to the thing with horror only to discover that I am listening to YET ANOTHER jangly Bunnymen/Chameleons hybrid

Now I have nothing against either of those bands as I happen to like both of them quite a lot. It's just I am so bored of listening to so many of these 'undiscovered gems' only to discover that 2 seconds into the first song I get that familiar ringing of a jangly guitar intro followed by some morose singer crooning some baritone like dirge with no hint of any punk like attitude anywhere. There really must have been a factory churning out these kind of bands around 1982 because i've discovered and deleted fucking hundreds of them. Can't we just call them jangly indie bands because thats what they are , they're even on independent labels too so why not?
Just save me the effort of having to delete yet another 'forgotten post punk classic' off my hard drive.
Thanks.

***-(Listen to Orange Juice's The Glasgow School to hear how punk mixed with pop should really sound , i'll give you a clue , it's nothing like what punk-pop sounds like.)

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote