Music Banter - View Single Post - Slavery
Thread: Slavery
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #101 (permalink)
The Unfan
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADELE View Post
Who is first to hate?
Me or the racist?
I don't think it really matters. The fact is you're still holding a "holier than thou" attitude torward people with a difference in opinion and judging them for having that same attitude.

Quote:
So if I have met 5 people from cananda who are deaf I can safely assume all people from Canada are deaf?
Actually, yes. Thats how science works. If you drop a ball 30 times and it falls every time than it is scientifically safe to assume if you drop the ball again it will fall. Since you can't prove a negative claim all we can conclude is that the tested positive claim theoretically should hold true.

Now apply it to your example. Let us assume we don't have any information on Canadians. When the first Canadian is met, if that Canadian is deaf, we should conclude that at least 1 Canadian is deaf. If we do this 40 (40 is an arbitrary number, I don't really know where the line should be drawn here) more times and all Canadians met to this point are deaf then it seems reasonable to conclude that Canadians are deaf. It would be impossible to prove "No Canadian isn't deaf" so you'd be forced to conclude that "Canadians are deaf" until you find proof of a positive assertion such as "A Canadian isn't deaf." To prove the positive assertion you would then need to find a Canadian who isn't deaf.
The Unfan is offline   Reply With Quote