Music Banter - View Single Post - Perfect moments in songs
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Default Perfect moments in songs

There's no shortage of great pop songs, but what about those isolated moments in those songs that kick everything up a notch? Key changes, an unexpected chord, a new instrument suddenly starts playing...the little things. I can't count how many times I've played "I Know It's Over" just to hear that part about halfway through when Morrisey drops his voice to a haunting bass for the word "over"; lately I've been playing "What The World Is Waiting For" (The Stone Roses) on repeat just to hear the key change around the 3:00 mark ("Anytime you want it, then it's there!"). Two more great key changes; CCR's "Lodi" and the Who's "So Sad About Us."

I could go on for pages...the way the drums suddenly start to snap right before the fadeout of "You Can't Always Get What You Want," the end of "I Can Never Go Home Anymore" when Mary Weiss sounds like she's actually crying (apparently she was), the part in Steely Dan's "Your Gold Teeth" that goes "Dumb luck, my friend/Won't suck me in/This time," the part in "Watching The Detectives" when the band stops playing and all you hear is Elvis Costello's voice sneering, "It only took my little fingers to blow you away"...

What are some of everyone else's favorites?