Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #771 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

39 : Electronic Music Sub Genres

Now metal takes a lot of stick for having a ridiculous amount of stupid sub genres but I've always thought that at least the names they give them are pretty self explanatory. Or it could be i'm more familiar with metal , I don't know. I suspect the answer is probably a combination of the two.

On the other hand I just look at the amount of sub genres in electronic music and I am just baffled by it. I have absolutly no idea what most of them mean. As far as I am concerned there are only really 3 worth bothering with and here is my interpretation of them...

Trance - Boring floaty stuff
House - Uptempo dancy stuff
Experimental - BBC sound effects album

That's not to say I wouldn't listen to anything else as I regually listen to a lot of electronic music from time to time I just take it as I hear it and ignore all the stupid sub genres it may be listed under. I have no idea what Illbient , Nortec , Ghettotech , Glitch , Dirty electronic , Jumpstyle , Chemical breaks or Darkcore are, and quite honestly I couldn't care less either.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote