Music Banter - View Single Post - Playing Music
Thread: Playing Music
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fletch
Music Addict

Default Playing Music

When it comes to music you never stop learning (unless you want to!).

I`m a guitar tragic, and buy a few magazines here and there. There`s the occasional nugget of wisdom or insight that keeps you inspired, so i thought i`d post some....

Slash printed way back in 1992, regards learning the guitar...

"A lot of people feel like they have to reach a certain point, and that point is always hanging over their head. They`re always trying to reach it, but its a lot more difficult. Wherever i was, was fine. I just kept working hard at it..."

I find this a HUGE thought. How many of us want (so much) to play like all our heros? But i can`t be Hendrix/Knopfler/Page/Hammet all in one life time - i find this Slash quote, good to focus on - be happy with who you are, what you can do & sound like, and take it further step by step.

Tommy Emmanuel printed in 2007...

"The guitar is a challenging instrument. You pick it up one day and you think `I`m the king of this, I`m gonna whup this thang`and the next day you pick it up and you feel like a total idiot, like a fool, you know? So its a humbling instrument...."

If this guy can feel like that sometimes, well... - don`t beat yourself up if nothing sounds right and your having a bad day. Some days you just gotta do something else eh? Or just practice scales, get technical, or listen to someone else...

Editor Australian Guitar printed this month 2008...

..There`s no right or wrong way to play guitar. There`s no ultimate guitar or amp that cannot be beaten. Its about finding something that works for you and playing the hell out of it until it really sounds your own. Then, as we do around the office on a daily basis, its just a matter of defending your selection of skills, sounds and gear amongst your peers! And daydreaming about the next piece of gear to add to your rig...

I can relate to a lot of that above!

Thats just 3 Gems of wisdom that spring to mind, of course sometimes the polar opposite opinions are just as valid. I know this is all guitar stuff, but maybe it can apply to more instruments, or even singing?
Music inspires Life!