Music Banter - View Single Post - The Crowe 100
Thread: The Crowe 100
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #62 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

This post marks the halfway point! HurrAH!

52. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain (2006)
In a purely biographical sense, this album has done little to shape my life in any form... which would explain it's existence in the back 50. But let me say, had this album come along earlier in my life, things could have been a lot different for my musical future... although I suppose you could say this about any particular album/artist. I have no boring/interesting stories about this one- my roommate in Chicago told me about a Mr. Grieves cover, knowing that the Pixies were on constant spin in my little apartment. Then of course I was aware of these guys when this little ditty caused an eUproar and everyone and their moms were talking about the best album of 2006. I can't help but agree really... with a unique vocalist (you've recognized the trend) and a beautiful congregation of drum loops, heavy distortion and (relatively untalked about) lyrical content that is dark and forbidding. Hell, Wolf Like Me the essential single off of this album is about a nymphomaniac telling a whore about how he is going to teach her new tricks that even SHE hasn't seen yet... but she's a WHORE! So, I mean... look for themes of armageddon, downtrodden youth, unbridled hubris - you'll continue to see them in their back catalogue as well as in Dear Science,.

Check out: Playhouses, Tonight, Wolf Like Me

51. The Four Seasons - Sherry and 11 Others (1962)
In almost a complete turnaround from TV on the Radio's entry, this album had a huge impact on my life while not really giving me any long lasting musical attachment. I used to live in Atlanta, GA - and my grandparents lived in the middle of Illinois... so as a child getting to visit them was quite the occasion. Whenever we'd arrive, my grandparents would always, always be playing some sort of 50's pop, and their favorite album (well, second to Pet Sounds) was Sherry and 11 Others. Walk Like a Man and Sherry are of course the huge singles off of this debut - but every song on this album is imprinted on my brain forever. Peanuts, for example was my favorite song as a dibbun. However, as I got older, this little white Doo wop group didn't really stick and is relegated to the annals of my mind. I still here the singles of course, "OOOOeeeeOOoeeeOOOeee Walk! Walk! Walk!" haha - but you won't find this on my iPod for example. But sure enough, trips to my grandparents' house are sure to include a little Frankie Valli and friends. Aside from the biographical aspect - Valli's falsetto is a thing of beauty and inspired many imitators - everything you want out of a doo-wop group is here (except maybe a little soul from the black doo-wop groups). If anything, respect The Four Seasons' place in music history.

Check out: Peanuts, Walk Like a Man, Lost Lullaby

50. Pearl Jam - Ten (1991)
Let's get something straight before I start here. I know that there are people on this forum who absolutely DESPISE Pearl Jam, I know it to be one of the truest things about this forum is that Pearl Jam gets no respect at all. Well. Just in case you have forgotten, I am a child of the 90s. I will not apologize for liking this album, I f'n love this album. As a rock-loving individual whose taste is developing in the early-mid 90s... it was impossible to escape the Pearl Jamarama. Jeremy is/was one of my favorite songs - the video made me realize that I liked dark songs, really, really dark songs. This song also was sort of a precursor to our school violence in America... this... this album has Eddie Vedder coming off of Temple of the Dog, the pre-Pearl Jam, this has all the makings of one of the best debuts of the 90s, of all time. You talk to any rock loving individual who was born in the mid 80s... you will see stars in their eyes when they speak of this album. Of course I'm being very general - but this... this is a milestone album in my life - and I can't get over how much I've wanted to praise it since my join date in Dec 2005 but never got to. Black... Jeremy... Once... EVEN FLOW - please put away your prejudices and go back and listen to this beauty. Better than Nevermind. Better.... than... Nevermind. Stone me now.

Check out: Black, Jeremy, Once, Even Flow, ALIVE!!!

49. The Damned - Damned Damned Damned (1977)
Hello pioneers of punk and welcome to the front 50. The Damned debuted with this cleverly titled album - and usually this gem plays second fiddle to their punk masterpiece "Machine Gun Etiquette", as well it should musically. But let's discuss the importance of this album that at its time only had 2 other contemporaries - The Ramones and Blondie's debut releases. Some people call this one of the best punk records ever - are they wrong? Look for really, really catchy - fast, fun punk songs that leave you not in want for anything more than MORE DAMNED. They don't try to fool you with delusions of technical grandeur - this is before punk became a style, before it became jaded, before it became an elitist club... and really, what else can you say? Biographically this was introduced to me well after I had been listening to bands like The Clash, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols and newer "punks" like Stiff Little Fingers, Social Distortion and Green Day. So I can't say that this album started anything new, but more lead me to appreciate what I'd already been listening to - saw the grass roots origins of this crass, controversial genre.

Check out: Fan Club, Born to Kill, 1 of the 2

Last edited by Crowe; 09-16-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote