Music Banter - View Single Post - Catchiest Punk Songs?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #71 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
I'd say that makes the label "punk" fairly meaningless.
See, I'd say that broadening the definition of punk to include bands like The Who makes the label fairly meaningless because it makes it so broad.

Quote:
People are always trying to bring back stripped-down rock, I always thought the term for that is "roots rock."
Roots rock is stripped down in a different way from punk. It generally involves incorporating americana influences like country into rock music.

Quote:
Anti-establishment hasn't always been a theme of rock. I don't think Presley, Holly, early Beatles had that as a theme at all. Presley, and rock & roll, may have been seen as inherently anti-establishment because they encouraged sexuality and expressiveness, but most early rock music wasn't expressly about rejecting authority and the mainstream, IMO.
Well The Beatles weren't part of the first wave of rock so they aren't that relevant to the conversation. And maybe you're right about Buddy Holly but his band The Crickets did record the original version of "I Fought the Law" in 1959. Elvis definitely had the "rebel" image thing going on and I think real rock pioneers like Chuck Berry, Ike Turner, Eddie Cochran, Carl Perkins, Little Richard, Gene Vincent and Jerry Lee Lewis were all about rejecting authority. It wasn't manifested in the same way as punk rock because it was a different era but it was certainly there.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote