Music Banter - View Single Post - Dubstep
Thread: Dubstep
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #66 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
^it's far from conventional dubstep (dubstep is primarily a dance music so there aren't tons of 'albums' to choose from per se) BUT everyone will recommend Burial's album 'Untrue', it's been a real crossover success and deservedly so. Should be easy to find on google blogsearch

edit: also Skream's album 'Skream!' (2006) is the first dubstep LP, it has 'Midnight Request Line' which kind of kicked the whole thing off and made people sit up and pay attention
I managed to find "Untrue" and was able to listen to some of it just now while I was out running some errands. It seems pretty good though very different from what I was expecting. For some reason I had the idea in my head that dubstep was more of a musical cousin to grime. It actually seems much closer to trip-hop though with—very surprisingly to me—a faint whiff of late 80s bands like Enigma.

I like it, especially the beats. I'm kind of a sucker for UK style dance beats though, they're always much more fractured and interesting than their American counterparts.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote