Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Things That Piss Me Off About Movies
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
RoemerMW
Music Addict

99: Film Studies Students

I'm not talking about Film Production students, that's a key difference. Film Production is making films, and studying how they are made. Film studies is "studying them", and from what I've seen that basically means you pay to watch films and listen to someone talk about them.

These people wouldn't bother me so much, but every one of them I've met on the internet are incredibly pretentious, and they don't really seem to know all that much about film. From what I've seen, all they've learned from their years of studying is how to ignore every film that's not in the AFI's top 100 list or an equivalent list. You'd think after years of studying film, they'd learn something beyond the canonized norm.

Also, many of these people seem to think that their opinion is much more important than other people's because they majored or minored in film studies. Usually that would be true; if you majored in medical science, your medical opinion would be more valid than mine. But based on the "knowledge" they display, what they have learned would be the equivalent of going to medical school and only learning how to do the Heimlich maneuver. Yes, The Godfather/Annie Hall/Vertigo/Citizen Kane/various other canonized movies are all great, but mentioning only the canonized doesn't show any real knowledge about film. Whenever someone's top ten list consists of all super-canonized films, that pretty much guarantees that they know sh*t and are trying to impress someone.

If anyone here was/is a film studies student, I'm sorry if I offended you. For all I know there is a great film studies program out there, and maybe it actually helped you. I have yet to encounter anyone who actually came out of a film studies program knowing more than I do. Everyone I've met who has an impressive knowledge of film learned it on their own, like me.