Music Banter - View Single Post - Playing Music
Thread: Playing Music
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cobe Kai
i is a gud righter.

Personal experience with guitar is that one day you can pick it up, and everything will sound perfect, everthing you write sounds great, but the next day... nothing sounds right, even if you're playing it perfect and everything is fine... it's a strange instrument that really reflects moods.

I've found that you need to know stuff to play... you need to know scales and techniques in order to solo (well) for example. Which is why I, after a long time, have resumed guitar lessons... or more specifically, BLUES guitar lessons.

I've been playing with bands for a while now, even recorded, I've written a good setlist of songs with my newest band, but I always want to learn and do more.

I think you need that. You need to WANT to learn more. There is no point playing or learning more if you don't WANT to. You can learn how to play a few songs and never want to play anything else, so don't force yourself to. Don't take lessons just to do it. You need to WANT to do it... and overall ENJOY it, feel accomplished.

I know I'm somewhat skilled with the guitar, but then I meet people who play solos and riffs that I can't play, and it used to put me down. Then I realised, that's what they like to play, I'm content with powerchord songs and improv solos.

You shouldn't go learn to play a genre of music (e.g. blues) unless you like it. If you like it, then learn it, or at least appreciate it.

For example, as previously stated, I'm taking blues lessons, yet my favourate genres are grunge and sludge... not much blues in there, but I appreciate the genre and enjoy a select few songs from it and by God do I respect it. I wouldn't go and learn to play classical guitar, because I genuinely don't like it, though I know I'd benefit, I wouldn't do it so well because I don't like it. So my gems are:

1) Enjoy yourself
2) Want to learn
3) Don't learn something you don't like all the time. You need to do stuff you DO like to get through it (e.g scales)
4) Stick with it. You'll have off days. We all do.

Earth.
Cobe Kai is offline   Reply With Quote