Music Banter - View Single Post - This I Believe There is / is not a God
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 06:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

I believe one of two things:

1. There is a supreme being/force/power/whatever. However, we have no real knowledge of it, so why concern ourselves with trying to figure it out?

2. As the cliche goes, something can come from nothing.

Either scenario completely messes with our normal way of thinking. In fact, there is a third option, namely, a scenario that is "real" but far beyond our powers to even imagine. Any of these scenarios is so contrary to what we tend to accept that it's hard to genuinely adapt one's philosophy to them. It's one thing to say "I believe in a higher being that created us and has unlimited powers over us"; it's another to actually live that way. Really, how can you?

I'm open to the possibility of a higher being presenting himself/herself/itself to us, but I don't think it's likely.

I'm a very spiritual person, but ritualized prayers and condemning other people's "morals" and actions is not spiritual for me. There is beauty and transcendent power in nature and music and art and a conversation with an old friend, not in saying whiny, selfish prayers or complaining about other people's sexual practices.