Music Banter - View Single Post - Flying Nun Records / Dunedin Sound
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

The scene is a personal favourite of mine. Here is Australia when pub rock was the popular choice of the majority I just could not go past the wonderful work coming out of New Zealand with the Dunedin contingent high on the list. Much more fun.

There is some wonderful music to explore from both the Dunedin Scene and the Flying nun label in general. On the, sadly few, opportunities that I go to NZ to visit I generally come back with a bag full of goodies. With the advent of online buying life is much easier nowadays. A wonderful DVD called Very Short Films is available. Very Short films has the following track list with my personal favs highlighted.

1 Anything Could Happen The Clean
2 Bridesmaid Bored Games
3 Needles And Plastic Doublehappys
4 Adults And Children Gordons
5 Carolines Dream Childrens Hour
6 Death and the Maiden Verlaines
7 Neck Of The Woods The Great Unwashed
8 Pink Frost The Chills
9 Husband House Sneaky Feelings
10 Cactus Cat Look Blue Go Purple
11 Alien Bird Nest Roys
12 North By North The Bats
13 Agitator Skeptics
14 Buddy Snapper
15 Nothings Going To Happen Tall Dwarfs
16 She Speeds Straitjacket Fits
17 Hold Me 1 Able Tasmans

18 Dave The Pimp The Cakekitchen
19 Gaskrankinstation Headless Chickens
20 Breakdown Town S.P.U.D.
21 You Forget David Kilgour
22 Not Given Lightly Chris Knox

23 Bigger Than Texas The Renderers
24 Precious J.P.S. Experience
25 Hey Seuss 3Ds
26 Hey Judith Dribbling Darts Of Love

27 Splat Bailterspace
28 Save My Life Bike
29 Fingerpops Garageland
30 Bitter Nest Solid Gold Hell
31 Touch Me Superette
32 Voodoo Girl Loves Ugly Children
33 Palm Singing Bressa Creeting Cake
34 The Crystal Chain The Subliminals
35 Spill The Light Betchadupa
36 Schallblute HDU
37 Exit To The City The D4
38 Drag Racer The Hasselhoff Experiment
39 Death and the Maiden Stephen Malkmus
40 Interstate Boy PanAm
41 Post No Bills The Mint Chicks

Chris Knox and The Tall Dwarfs, who are a duo consisting of Knox and Alex Bathgate are top of the list for my desert island artist choice period.
I could write a career retrospect if anyone was interested. The song by Knox Not Given Lightly presented here was voted 13th best NZ song ever by APRA. Not a bad effort for someone definitely on the edge of mainstream acceptance.

Another band, not Dunedin but Flying Nun and Auckland, to be given attention by anyone interested is The Headless Chickens. I am unable to speak highly enough of their album Body Blow. It is an album packed with catchy pop rock hooks and hits that went triple platinum in NZ and even had crossover appeal across the pond in Australia. The Headless Chickens have reformed for a 2 gig tour of Australia as I write but are not coming up to Brisbane so consequently I am crying tears of blood.

Some tracks from this wonderful album.

and finally the absolutely sublimely catchy Donde Esta La Pollo

One final band I will give a special mention to is the Bird Nest Roys. Obscure to say the least. One album for Flying Nun. #45 IIRC and has a couple of cracking power pop songs such as Jaffa Boy and Alien that even made it onto the DVD. The lead singer just happens to be a mate of mine

Last edited by 4ZZZ; 09-20-2008 at 05:27 PM.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote