Music Banter - View Single Post - Death Magnetic
Thread: Death Magnetic
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #111 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPot View Post
"Barely listenable" is pathetic, and totally unjust, even if you choose to put it in the category of simply "Thrash metal". However, I would ask you, for what other bands do you do that? Meaning, when I listen to a new disk from Bruce Springsteen, am I comparing it to all other Arena Rock/Folk/Classic Rock/Singer Songwriter CD's or am I simply grading it based on what I think of Bruce S. and his overall talent? I would say, as I think many would, the latter is true.

With Iron Maiden's last release (which was great), do I have to compare it against all other British Metal bands, or Power Metal bands or NWOBHM bands or whatever category you want to put them in or can I just say that it's a great f**king CD for Iron Maiden? See I think a lot of these so called "Metallica Fans" are probably not really real fans in the sense that if they were, they would judge DM based on what Metallica has been able to pull off with this vs. past recordings and not lumping it into all current/modern Thrash Metal, which obviously Metallica are not fairly categorized as this point as they are more than just that style alone. I also would venture a guess that 90% of those bashing Death Magnetic are under the age of 30, or even 25, are are much more likely biased towards more modern metal bands like Shadows Fall, COB, Soulfly, Lamb of God, Arch Enemy etc etc. Therefore, Metallica is going to be unjustly judged simply by being "old". Deny this if you like but I have already heard them be dissed for that reason in these forums and by other younger musicians I hang with from time to time. Simply being older guys does not in any way diminish the quality of the band and/or this most recent CD and to suggest so is just purely retarded.
Of course 'Barely Listenable' is not pathetic. Whether I personally agree or not, opinions are valid for everyone. I am in my mid 30's and have seen Metallica many times too but if a release is shit, I will say it is.

Using the criteria of a bands longevity is a weak argument. My favourite band is Pink Floyd but 'The Wall' sucks for me and I have no compunction saying otherwise. If people don't like 'Death Magnetic' then so be it. Trying to change an already made up mind is usually a fruitless excersise.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote