Music Banter - View Single Post - Death Magnetic
Thread: Death Magnetic
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #115 (permalink)
The Unfan
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPot View Post
"Barely listenable" is pathetic, and totally unjust, even if you choose to put it in the category of simply "Thrash metal". However, I would ask you, for what other bands do you do that? Meaning, when I listen to a new disk from Bruce Springsteen, am I comparing it to all other Arena Rock/Folk/Classic Rock/Singer Songwriter CD's or am I simply grading it based on what I think of Bruce S. and his overall talent? I would say, as I think many would, the latter is true.
The latter is still bad. You should compare the album with what it is trying to be and compete with. Death Magnetic is Metallica trying to go back to their roots, and thus it would be fair to judge it on that criteria. When compared to other thrash bands and heavy metal bands Death Magnetic just doesn't cut it.

Quote:
I also would venture a guess that 90% of those bashing Death Magnetic are under the age of 30, or even 25,
If it helps fellate your ego a bit I'm 21 but...
Quote:
are are much more likely biased towards more modern metal bands like Shadows Fall, COB, Soulfly, Lamb of God, Arch Enemy etc etc.
I don't agree with this at all. Of these bands Arch Enemy had some good stuff in the 90s, thats about it. Age also doesn't matter. I don't presume I'll like something or not based on era. I'd still call Cirith Ungol one of the better metal bands to ever exist. Also, not metal related, I'd still consider Chick Webb to be among my favorite drummers.

Quote:
Therefore, Metallica is going to be unjustly judged simply by being "old". Deny this if you like but I have already heard them be dissed for that reason in these forums and by other younger musicians I hang with from time to time. Simply being older guys does not in any way diminish the quality of the band and/or this most recent CD and to suggest so is just purely retarded.
I fully agree. Being older doesn't make them bad musicians. In fact, I'd say both Curse Of The Hidden Mirror and Heaven Forbid were good albums and Blue Oyster Cult were old as **** at that point.
The Unfan is offline   Reply With Quote