Music Banter - View Single Post - Greatest Punk Frontman
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 05:25 AM   #373 (permalink)
Gareth Brown
Account Disabled

This thread seems to contain alot of elitism, which is a shame really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1990celtic1888 View Post
you hate them because they are mainstream. you hate them because they have soled millions of records. you hate them because they boast major label status. you hate them because American Idiot was grounbreaking. You just cant see real music. it has really became petty and sad at the hate of one band. and how the hell are they manufactured? there a band like any other band. ****. p.s there definetly not pop. ''manufactured anger'' makes no sense.
I would call them a pop band with punk influences. Also, lol at the people who have a go at Green Day cos its 'not teh reel punx' or whatever but then say that NeverMind The Bollocks was ground breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
I don't have anything against the Sex Pistols I have a thing against idiots like you and ADELE who spend all your time overstating their importance. The Sex Pistols were NOT anywhere near as important to music as a whole as you guys seem to think. There were bands before them doing the same thing and bands after them doing it too, most doing it better. 90s alternative owes alot to the Sex Pistols? Fat chance, it owes more to hardcore (which was basically an America movement which owed alot more to the CBGB bands than the Sex Pistols), Black Sabbath and 60s garage rock. Nirvana's biggest influence was stuff like the Meat Puppets, Black Sabbath, Melvins, Black Flag etc not the Sex Pistols and Oasis? give me a break, britpop, with the exception of the Manics (who owe more to the Clash and Guns and Roses than the Sex Pistols) was more about the Kinks, The Beatles and the Rolling Stones than the Sex Pistols. Metallica was also influenced by the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, as were most thrash bands and as far as punk goes they borrowed more from hardcore. The Sex Pistols didn't change the face of music at all, they made punk popular by saying the "fucking" on television.

I couldn't have put it any better myself.