Music Banter - View Single Post - Uk Grime
Thread: Uk Grime
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #35 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

I have decided, lest this thread end up on the ash pile, to post weekly (fortnightly?) updates on the grime scene (i.e. underground electronica/two step-driven music from London) and leave it up to discerning posters to peruse, with one set and one track each post.
It's difficult to put across much of grime to unfamiliars since alot of it relies on a knowledge of slang (see here, a ham-fisted 'guide' I did a while back) or awareness of events in the scene since it's distinction from UK garage back in 2001. It's important to note that the scene also seemingly moves at 140bpm, and beats from 2004 are already considered old skool...

Kiss FM's Logan Sama slot (one of two grime shows on UK mainstream radio, the other being Westwood's 1Xtra show) is traditionally the most respected platform for the talented yout - a platform that only Dizzee Rascal (and Kano less so) have used as a springboard to mainstream success... through abandonment of the large and dedicated listenership that made them (of course).
I just discovered Logan's youtube channel, which has all the recent sets:

The Set
Random Impulse and Rinse (DJ - Logan Sama): Both display very hectic yet articulate styles (to call them 'hype' would merely denote simplistic rave/clash bars); with a lyrical depth and satire on the 'gun talk'-dominated grime scene not often heard. Both are from the collective G-Fam, Impulse's last mixtape 'Full Metal Alchemist' was amazing and Rinse's debut 'Attack of the Nerds' will, I predict, have reach beyond the grimeheads later this year.
If anybody outside of the UK can understand the following video I'll be shocked. Logan Sama knows how to mix grime and get the best out of the MC's, but the heavy dubs don't set in until 4:00 with a beat produced by Skepta, which is coincidentally when Rinse reels off the bars that made me fall in love Part 2 follows.

Classic riddim
Newham Generals: Frontline (prod. Footsie)
The first MC, Munk (he had several names, all of them ridiculous), has since found religion and left the Newham Generals - Newham being in southeast London. The other two, D Double E (unique flow once ubiquitous with pirate radio) and Footsie (producer and DEE's rasta-foil) have since signed to Dizzee Rascal's independent label Dirtee Stank and supported him on world tours; the album has been 'about to drop' for 3 years now
They were known for tearing up the raves rather than their output. edit: the end of this video says alot

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her

Last edited by Molecules; 09-28-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote