Music Banter - View Single Post - Sun Ra
Thread: Sun Ra
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

I disagree with the 'unlistenable garbage' claim, that's just lazy imo.
Of the albums I have the one with the most mystery and soul is 'Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy', but you can never fail to enjoy 'Space Is The Place'. The thing about cosmic is it's basically a home recording, I wouldn't be surprised if it was recorded on meth in the 40's, it's just unhinged and spooky, there are a couple of percussion-only pieces aswell which are strangely hypnotic.
Sun Ra covered every style of jazz during his career and 'Jazz in Silhouette' is very conventional by his standards, but appealing, it's basically swing. A greatly underestimated band leader was Ra, he seems to be mainly remembered for being a total loon.

Apparently 80% of Sun Ra's recordings left the musicians, dates and locations uncredited, and it's only in the last ten years that alot of the recordings he released through his own label (the name i forget) are coming to be re-issued.

This biography is supposed to really dissect the myth and I've only managed to find some reasonable UK prices thru online book dealerships

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote