Music Banter - View Single Post - So I'm going to learn bass?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
If this is true then consider just starting with a nylon string guitar. A Bass is just a guitar with 2 strings missing after all.

The theory is all the same and it will be easier on your hands/fingers to get going. Then if it all works out for you, buy a Electric Bass and rock your neighbours!

This question has made me think - Are there any Bass Players out there that didn`t start off playing a 6 string???? Surely there wouldn`t be many competent ones that couldn`t hold their own on Guitar too?
1 - yes and no. if all you do is look at the strings and how they're tuned normally then yes, a bass is just a guitar missing 2 strings. but i'm going to use my fruit analogy again, it's apples and oranges, they're both fruits, both packed with vitamins, and both good for you. but i've never known anyone to say they were basically the same thing after tasting both.

2 - you're right the theory relating the notes is the same, but it's the same on any instrument. moving a step up from C will always bring you to D. the nylon string guitar is a decent idea also but it becomes another instrument in the way of getting the desired one. if you can get through a hard tune on guitar hero you've got the manual dexterity to learn how to play a real guitar or bass. i really don't see the need to delay getting a bass from the get go. the soft callouses you would develop on a nylon string guitar wouldn't do ANYTHING to prepare you for a bass. on guitar i primarily use the tips of my fingers to fret the notes, but on a bass i usually use the back of my fingertip. the increased size of the strings makes it easier to make a note sound that way.

3 - i've known a few, and you're right it does go both ways from a theory standpoint. one thing i did notice though is that bass players who started on a guitar had a tendency to overplay A LOT, which is fine if you're playing some crazy jazz fusion deal but not so good when you're trying to lock down a groove.

ironically enough in my experience it's the guitar players who started off playing bass that make for better musicians since they seem to better understand how to fit in a band setting. it took me YEARS to get over trying to impress myself by noodling all over my bass and just relaxing and grooving out on 4-6 notes for a full jam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote