Music Banter - View Single Post - Trapt's Somone In Control
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zaraki Kenpachi
Groupie

Default Trapt's Somone In Control

My goal is to try and relay my thoughts of this album in a very efficient manner. My hope is that this review will offer some insight into this band's album for those that have not heard their music. I will try to be as truthful as any fan can be. Songs are listed in order.

Album: Trapt's Someone in Control
Released: September 13, 2005
Label: Warner Bros. Records

Song: Disconnected (Out of Touch)
Theme: A relationship that is teetering on the brink of dissolving due to a distant lover.

Chorus:
So disconnected, going through the motions again
So disconnected, everything goes over your head
So disconnected, you got me hangin by a thread
So disconnected, when will this cycle end?

Best 4 bars:
You never listen to me,
You cannot look me in the eyes.
I have struggled to see
Why its so easy to push me aside

Misc: The intresting thing about this song is that if one were to just read the lyrics it would seem as though it’s a heart to heart ballad begging someone to come back. On the contrary the guitar riffs on this song mimic the anger, indignation, and confusion that the vocals express especially on the chorus. During the verses the pace slows with the percussion taking a notable drop in RPMs, but for the chorus the energy def comes back. For anyone that has ever been in a relationship and your partner just baffles you at every turn I think you can relate to this songs embodiment of confusion and anger. A very good song for workouts or reflecting on love's lost.

Song: Waiting
Theme: The hope of the return of your lover that is now gone.

Chorus:
And I'm waiting for you
To get that feeling once again
Reunited in the end
And I've been waiting for you
To capture my imagination
Cuz I've been fooled by the illusions in my head
In my head

Best 4 bars:
Now I realize I never had it so good
You took me anywhere I wanted to go
Now I'm sitting here dreaming of the days
When anytime I wanted I could show you how I feel

Misc: If you cant relate to this song then you are one of the luckiest members of society walking the Earth. The song starts off with some really really hard guitar riffs but quickly descends into the calm needed in order to express the sense of loss. The velocity is turned up again when the vocalist exclaims "I'd make it right if you wanted it!" A very well paced song that uses the music as points of emphasis underlining the vocalist. Towards the end of the song the vocalist is clearly begging for another chance and sounds completely desperate.

Song: Victim
Theme: Wanting in vain for affection that is not in your best interest.

Chorus:
I want your eyes
I want your eyes on me
I want your eyes
I want your eyes on me
I want your eyes
I want your eyes to see
I want someone to notice me
I wanna be your new victim
I wanna be your new victim

Best 4 bars:
No regrets... even if it's all I get
It's all I wanna be
So won't you take it from me
It still hurts

Misc:
This song is emotionally charged from start to finish. The beginning of the song is so deceiving. Its so soft that you swear this song is a ballad. All you hear is a simple percussion beat and bass guitar keeping the time, but once the chorus comes there is an explosion of power from both the vocalist and the band. The vocalist exclaims " I want your eyes on me!" in a way that makes this seem like a sick and twisted infatuation gone too far. However the angst is always reigned in for the verses, and a cooler head prevails while the vocalist expresses his desire. The ending pleas of "Come and Get Me!" are very powerful and I'm sure will leave an impression on anyone hearing it for the first time.

Song: Stand Up
Theme: You started this beef, but I will finish it.

Chorus:
Stand up
I have had enough
Walk away before I finish what you started
Face to face I will put you in your place
End this game before I finish what you started
Face to face everything will change

Best 4 bars:
You planted the seed
How my anger has grown
Got an feeling inside that I can't seem to control
You wanna see a reaction

Misc:
Hard. I mean this band is playing hard. The guitarists are riffing hard. The persucssionists are flying. The vocalist is spewing nothing but adrenaline and testoterone. This is the quintessential "I don’t give a ****" track that every band needs to have on their album. But when you actually listen to the lyrics you'll find that this isnt a song for the meathead that dunks nerds in toilets during his free time. No, this song is about a man that is confronted with an obstacle that simply wont go away on its on. For you this may be deadline at work or it may be some other life situation. What are you going to do, do like the song says " Face to face, I will put you in your place".

Song: Lost Realist
Theme: Self assurance and the uncertainty of living your own life.

Chorus:
Will the dice ever roll
When will I ever know
Will the plot ever twist
Or will I still resist
I've been playing the part of a lost realist

Best 4 bars:
My independence is calling my name
A doubtful voice divides my faith
My independence only hesitates
An unsure choice I can't embrace

Misc: The first "ballad" of the album. Very low key and subtle. The guitar riffs are still present at moments especially the chorus. But during the verses the snare and soft plucks of a guitar are the most audible pieces of music. The vocalist seems to not be able to make up his mind as to how he wants to sing the song. His inflections would be completely off if it were not for the dynamic band upping their ante as well.

Song: Skin Deep
Theme: Judging based soley on appearance

Chorus:
Skin Deep
Skin Deep
No one will ever be perfect in your eyes
Skin Deep
Skin Deep
Only scratching the surface for your prize

Best 4 bars:
First impressions
Are over in an instant
You make your decision
Before you speak a word

Misc: This song's lyrics are as simple as the title and theme suggest. However the music does overcome that challenge well. The extensive use of cymbals during the chorus is something that hadnt been on heard on the album thus far. The bass guitar flows freely and sounds right at home on this song. The guitar riffs only chime in to up the pace for the chorus then fade away to make room for verse to begin. There is also a nice little drum breakdown accompanied by a synthesized version of the vocalist.

Song: Influence
Theme: Peer pressure and addiction

Chorus:
You always feel so alone
The real you is never shown
Whose influence?, Whose influence
Are you under??
Now
So much pressure to fit in
You never know where to begin
Whose influence?, Whose influence
Are you under??
Now

Best 4 bars:
Liquid courage, pouring down,
Sober surface, can't be found

There's no denial, you can't drown
When nothings final, so turn around

Misc: While not the most stylistically amazing song on the album, this track does make you pause. It does make you think about those last few years of highschool and those first few of college, when trying to fit in was so paramount to our lives. Again the verses express a sense of calm understanding. While the verses have more of edge urging for an awakening that only you can choose for yoursef.

Last edited by Zaraki Kenpachi; 10-02-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Zaraki Kenpachi is offline   Reply With Quote