Music Banter - View Single Post - cat op 25
Thread: cat op 25
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 07:58 AM   #37 (permalink)
Piss Me Off
Moodswings n' Roundabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
“Sister Ray” is the sound of a song going nowhere. The lyrics are repetitive and in deliberate bad taste, the rhythm section barely evolves over the entire course of seventeen minutes, but there's so much raw energy driving the song that it continues to go and go without any sort of destination in mind. It's the Grateful Dead for nihilists, instead of listening to a song slowly evolve we listen to a song slowly devolve. From this song it becomes obvious why bands like Times New Viking deliberately use poor recording equipment—the lack of audio quality allows one instrument to overpower the others, and turn the whole song into an indistinguishable pulsating mass of writhing noise. Then as this temporary burst of energy wears off and the voice fades back into the background, the song magically reappears. Each voice carries with it its own distinct hiss and each contributes to the overall aura of feedback, essentially turning the old hierarchy of tone over timbre on its head. It's like listening to a choir of lunatics, most of whom stop singing their designated music and start to scream instead.
Spot on, especially the bold.

Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline   Reply With Quote