Music Banter - View Single Post - The Ultimate Hipster Playlist / Good Albums that Suck Because You Exist
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
Brad Stengel
This Space for Rent

I feel like the second most elitist people I encounter on music forums/real life, are pitchfork fans. They tend to have a slight holier than thou attitude, most likely instilled by pitchforks condescending quips on bands that they hate, bands deemed 'uncool'.

However, by far the most elitist group on the interwebs, are the pitchfork haters. The pitchfork haters look down on pitchfork readers, for no other reason than liking records pitchfork does, even though they most likely also own and enjoy the same albums. I really feel as though they resent pitchfork because without it, these great underground "diamond in the rough" bands and albums wouldn't be as popular, and then they could look down their nose at people who havent heard of them. Its almost like they feel pitchfork beat them to the punch, and they're resentful from it. For Chrissakes, its absurd, to take pride in something so insignificant as not reading a music website that is popular among those interested in underground music. The pitchfork hating baffles me, as they're never the only website hyping an album, someone mentioned the 'indie hype machine' awhile back...its all the critics, not just pitchfork. People bitching about music critics is aggravating enough, even when its something like rolling stone, which will give any Hootie and the Blowfish album/rehashed polished up mediocre classic rock album released by a "new" group a blowjob, nevermind when its a music website that heralds the same albums these snobs listen to anyway.

That being said, they, among everyone else, overrated Interpol hardcore. They had some really good melodies, but their sound is far too derivative. Generally in genre "revivals", bands add something different to the previous generations sound. Interpol took a carbon copy of it, and just applied it to a really good record full of songs.