Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Things That Piss Me Off About Video Games
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #172 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

70: Nintendo being shat on by third parties since 1996

Why do you think Nintendo became so powerful in the first place? Sure the branding power of the plumber in red helped. But the NES and SNES were the powerhouses they were largely because of their third party support. NES crushed Sega's Master System for this, and even though Sega got big boys like Capcom, Konami, Midway and EA to sign on for the Genesis, the SNES still won out in the end, and it's strong third party support certainly played a part in that.

But oh how things change. If you own a N64, Gamecube or Wii. You should probably know that most third party games for those systems blow ass. And even though they do have good third party games, a lot of them are non exclusive. This dosen't make them bad systems obviously because the first and second party games are great enough, but it seems like a waste that the only people that can do these systems justice are the very people that made them.

I understand the initial reason Nintendo lost their third party support was because making N64 cartridge based was a retarded idea. It was pretty much the reason third parties flocked to Playstation and Saturn instead. They got it right with the Gamecube, but it didn't help, it's third party support was still utterlly pathetic compared to Playstation 2, Xbox and even the Dreamcast. And the Wii has the same exact problem when stacked up against PS3 and 360.

I don't get it. Konami, Sega and Square Enix make EXCELLENT games for Nintendo's portable systems like the GBA and DS, so why don't their Gamecube and Wii games hold up in comparison? The Wii is a much better system than people give it credit for. If third party developers actually cared about the Wii (which they SHOULD, being the best selling system and easier to program for than the PS3) then they could show people what the system is truly capable of, but no, instead Konami and Square make their anticipated badass games for Sony, like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII, and what does the Wii get? Dewy's Adventure and a f*cking Cystal Cronicles sequel? What a slap in the face for Nintendo fans. There's no excuse for it, not anymore. One thing that hurts the Wii's reputation is all the shallow casual games and lame party games, f*ck you Hudson Soft.

I mean Nintendo got a LOT of third parties to lend their classic games for the virtual console, which is pretty rad. But here's a novel concept. Maybe these same third party companies should make NEW games for the system.

Oh well, at least we have Capcom to fall back on.

EDIT: Oh wait, Street Fighter 4 won't be on the Wii, well f*ck you Capcom.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 11-18-2009 at 06:51 AM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote