Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You Hate By Bands You Love
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #54 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
I think King Of America's a fantastic album personally (Suit Of Lights is one of the best songs of all time IMO), but each to their own. GCW has it's moments (Sour Milk-Cow Blues and Room Without a Number are great songs) but otherwise I really don't care for it

Suit Of Lights and Brilliant Mistake are amazing tunes; I could do without the rest of KOA.

On GCW, I really love Joe Porterhouse for some reason. Sour Milkcow Blues is great too. The Comedians is interesting because Roy Orbison's performance is so much better, but Costello's version (arguably) has the better lyrics (on GCW, there's the line "All that glitters is not chrome"; on Mystery Girl, Costello reverted to the cliche "All that glitters is not gold"...why?). I can definitely see why most people hate the album, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
5:15 is indeed a belting tune. I quite like 'Devils & Dust' but I have to really be in the mood for it.
When I first heard D+D, I was convinced it was one of Springsteen's three best albums. The production really kills it, though, and some of the songs are incredibly weak. I do like Black Cowboys. I saw him on the D+D tour, and I just can't help thinking that the album would have been a true masterpiece with a few rewrites and Nebraska-style arrangements.