Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles
Thread: The Beatles
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Great reviews Davey. I have to admit to not playing The Beatles in years now. I may have to get around to them again one day soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Moore View Post
Am I the only person who likes Revolution 9? I think it is a fabulous experiment with sound, and there are a lot of parts I like. "Financial Imbalance....the watusi.....the twist..." Also, I like the part "Riiiiiiiiiide." I find it to be quite a hypnotizing song. "Take this brother, may it serve you well...."
I am with you. I remember when I first heard Revolution 9 thinking it was an amazing soundscape. I have never read it anywhere but it has to be influenced by say the John Cage/Terry Riley's of this world. These people where using prepared instruments, tape looping and using found sounds, sampling in today's language, long before anyone else. Also as early as the 1940's there was a movement called Musique concrète.

Funnily enough I was playing Terry Riley's Music For The Gift this morning and the earliest piece on this set is the suite called Mescalin Mix, dated 1960 - 1962 and consists, according to the cover notes, of only tape manipulation and assemblage and is worth a listen just out of curiosities sake alone. Lennon and Ono being of an Avant Garde bent had to have been very aware of this type work.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote