Music Banter - View Single Post - Guitar or Drums?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fletch
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
In August, I got myself a guitar.... It's been about a month now. ... So, anyway, a month went by, and I've been learning the guitar. I'm not very good at it (as expected.) ...
Not sure about answering your actual question, but bearing in mind the remarks above... take it easy on yourself! No one becomes "very good" after 1 month. And its a rare player that will think `well thats it - i`m very good` even after many years.

If you continue on with the guitar you should consider why you started in the first instance. I knew someone a long time ago who tried to learn simply because he wanted to be cool BUT (and here`s the thing) he had no real love or passion for music, so it was an uphill battle and thankfully i think he gave it up.

If you have a favourite band or style of music, try learning and understanding some easier songs first and develop that. Be content with what you can sound `good` at and let natural development flow at its own pace.

Apart from my own experience, i`m writing this after watching my son practice and learn for a few years now. He started off with just me showing him some chords and the blues scale but didn`t really have the inner desire to develop, and the practicing lapsed. Then just this year, he saw the Nirvana unplugged dvd and was enamoured by the performance - he then wanted and worked hard to play some Nirvana songs. The rapid development was astounding to me, but it all comes from the inner love of music in my opinion.

And of course, sometimes we all just need a rest from practicing, and when we come back to the instrument it feels fresh again?

Try this thread if it might help too.